Cape Hatteras National Seashore lists additional kayak launch sites
With its new Oregon Inlet Kayak Launch site officially open, Cape Hatteras National Seashore is promoting more kayak and canoe access points for the Pamlico Sound.
The seashore’s recently created kayaking webpage lists “easiest launch sites” along NC 12:
- Oregon Inlet Kayak Launch.
- Pea Island Launch located a few miles south of the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, at the New Inlet parking area.
- Salvo Sound Access located just south of the village of Salvo.
- Haulover Sound Access located halfway between the villages of Avon and Buxton.
- Devil Shoals Road on Ocracoke Island.
- The very end of Highway 12 in Ocracoke village, where a parking lot/boat launch area is across the street from the seashore’s visitor center.
Commercial kayaks and canoe rentals are available locally. On calm days, these sites might also be good for stand-up paddle boarding.
Kayaking safety tips, found on the seashore’s new webpage and on the information panel at the Oregon Inlet Kayak Launch, are:
- Do not kayak during thunderstorms.
- Research local hazards and weather, avoid collisions.
- Bring essential safety gear such as personal floatation devices for everyone onboard, whistle and a communication device.
- Dress for water immersion and be aware of hypothermia.
- Share plans with a family member or friend.
- Plan a trip within individual capabilities; distances can be deceiving.